Tuesday, February 7, 2017

Canada 150

Canada 150

Questions that I have!

- How many Prime Ministers were there?
- What did the first and last Prime Ministers want Canada to be?
- What do/did some of the Prime Ministers value about Canada?

Some of the things that make Canada unique are its people and its values. I think that Canada's people make up a large part of its identity because they reflect the values that Canada was founded upon (diversity and inclusiveness). That has been true throughout history and shall hopefully be true in the future. Canada values different people's cultures and beliefs, that is what I want to base my Canada 150 blog on. I have decided to research what past Prime Ministers aspired for their country and whether we met their goals. There have been 23 Prime Ministers so far.

The Right Honourable Sir John A. MacDonald

When looking at what The Right Honourable Sir John A. MacDonald might have wanted Canada to be I found three quotes that I think represent what he believed Canada to be.

"I have no accord with the desire expressed in some quarters that by any mode whatever there should be an attempt made to oppress the one language or to render it inferior to the other - I believe that would be impossible if it were tried, and it would be foolish and wicked if it were possible." - [[February 17 1890, House of Commons, Debates, 745.

 "Let us be English or let us be French... but above all let us be Canadians."

"The statement that has been made so often that this is a conquered country is a propos de rien. Whether it was conquered or ceded, we have a constitution now under which all British subjects are in a position of absolute equality, having equal rights of every kind - of language, of religion, of property and of person. There is no paramount race in this country; we are all British subjects, and those who are not English are none the less British subjects on that account." - House of Commons, Debates, February 17. 1890.

I believe that these three quotes represent what The Right Honourable Sir John MacDonald believed Canada to be and what he hoped Canada would remain. From what I can tell he wanted Canada to be a country of equality, diversity and unity. Canada strives to be a country where everyone is treated equally, the people here are very diverse and Canada is united so it has remained strong throughout the years. Multi culturism is evidant certainly in the larger cities within Canada and although different cultures are respected there is still a strong Canadian identity. This is evident in everyday life from singing O Canada at school to participation in National sports.
http://canadachannel.ca/macdonald/index.php/John_A._Macdonald_Quotations


The Right Honourable Sir Robert Borden

"But when the day came which searched their spirit, Canadians did not fail to remember that there is something greater than material prosperity and something greater than even life itself. The wonderful and beautiful spirit of mutual helpfulness, of desire to aid, the spirit of self-sacrifice, of patriotism of devotion, which in these latter months has inspired the Canadian people from ocean to ocean will leave an enduring mark upon our national life."
I think that this quote represents what The Right Honourable Sir Robert Borden thought Canada was and what he thought it would continue to be. What he thought Canada used to be and would be.  As far as I can tell Canada has lived up to his expectations. When there is a problem (hurricanes, earthquakes, disease,...) and countries call for help Canada is one of the first countries to respond. Not only does Canada send supplies to those who need it they also send people to help.
http://international.gc.ca/world-monde/world_issues-enjeux-mondiaux/recent_responses-recentes_interventions.aspx?lang=eng
https://collectionscanada.gc.ca/primeministers/h4-4043-e.html


The Right Honourable William Lyon Mackenzie King

"I believed the people had a true instinct in most matters of government when left alone. That they were not swayed, as specially favoured individuals were, by personal interest, but rather by a sense of what best served the common good. That they recognized the truth when it was put before them, and that a leader can guide so long as he kept to the right lines. I did not think it was a mark of leadership to try to make the people do what one wanted them to do." 
I believe that what The Right Honourable William Lyon Mackenie King meant by this was that Canadians are wise and striveto make good choices, they try not to be swayed by personal gain or public opinion when it comes to leadership.
http://www.azquotes.com/author/8057-William_Lyon_Mackenzie_King



The Right Honourable Kim Campbell
“I want to encourage Canada to become more engaged internationally. I think we have an obligation to engage with international issues and be a player as much as we can, while also preserving what is good in the country. There are continuing challenges for Canada, but you never really solve all challenges. Each generation will always have a new challenge to face.”
I think that what The Right Honourable Kim Campbell meant by this was that Canada should become more internationally influential. As stated previously they should assist as best they can when needed  by other countries who are suffering. This can be seen in the decision by Canada's Prime Minister to accept many Syrian refugees giving them a safe place to live.
https://www.womenofinfluence.ca/2011/10/07/kim-campbell-conversation/#.WJ0TyPkrLIU


The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau

"If you are looking for a country that has the diversity, the resilience, the positivity and the confidence that will not just manage this change but take advantage of it, there has never been a better time to look to Canada."
Canada is definitely diverse, positive and confident. I think that Canada is also rather resilient. I think that The Right Honourable Justin Trudeau is correct when he states that because most of the people in Canada that I have met are positive and diverse. As far as I can tell Canada as a country is confident without being overconfident and throughout the years has remained resilient and strong. 
https://www.liberal.ca/the-canadian-opportunity/
Links
http://www.craigmarlatt.com/canada/government/pms.html
http://www.lop.parl.gc.ca/ParlInfo/Compilations/FederalGovernment/PrimeMinisters/Biographical.aspx
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Prime_Ministers_of_Canada

1 comment:

  1. Star
    *good grammar.
    * I think that you used a good amount of detail about primeministers in the presents and in the past.
    Wish
    * I wish that maybe you could have used quotes on a article or a website for backup/ evidence.

    ReplyDelete